Tuesday, December 10, 2013

The Pillowcase Project


I will both lay me down
in peace and sleep,
for thou, Lord,
make me dwell in safety.
~ The verse we quoted at bedtime
when our girls were little.
(Psalm 4:8)

Yesterday I told you it was my precious mother-in-law's 80th birthday.

Today I announce in her honor
What is "The Pillowcase Project?"

Background: My husband's lovely mother has been making adorable pillowcases for more than a year.


She sewed this one for my DH, her middle son, who wagged a Curious George stuffed monkey around when he was just a little guy. 



My honey's had this
since he was 4.


Curious George is 48 years old.


Mom added her son's favorite color to his pillowcase-- red! And lots of happy sock monkeys. Does her 50+-year-old son {who's still got that little boy's heart inside} like his pillowcase?


Of course he does!

Mom recently began gifting her four children, eleven grandchildren and four great-grandchildren with special pillowcases for their birthdays, each made with love. 


Then, as a teenage grandchild was hospitalized while battling cancer last year, Mom sewed a cheerful pillowcase for him and for other pediatric cancer patients.

Mom asked me a question a couple weeks ago that got me thinking. Actually, she's asked me before.


"Are you still going
to National Children's Hospital?"






She had pillowcases in mind for them, too.

Unfortunately, I told Mom, due to my travel schedule, Annie and I haven't been to NCH since earlier in the year.

Weeks after hearing her question, and seeing my husband sleep soundly on his new pillowcase, an idea has sparked: 365 days to round 'em up-- pillowcases, that is!  

"The Pillowcase Project" is borne out of Mom's giving heart, and the labors of love she performs with the needle of her trusted sewing machine. As a December baby, this effort is named in her honor.

"The Pillowcase Project"

What lovely gestures... to present cheerful pillowcases to the National Children's Hospital patients at Christmastime 2014.

Would you like to contribute? There're {less than} 365 days left to make or buy a new, standard size pillowcase(s) for "The Pillowcase Project."

From the U.S., they can be mailed to Guam's U.S. zip code inside flat rate boxes or envelopes provided by the USPS. (If you mailed them to me here in the Philippines, I'd never see them. Sorry.)

At the bottom of this post, I instruct you how to acquire the mailing address.

How about it? Does this sound like something you would enjoy? Your love will go a long, long way.

Purchase and send new standard pillowcases, or to sew your own, check out this pillowcase tutorial video or the PDF version here. Mom said there are many other pillowcase tutorials out there, but she thinks Robin C. Gallagher's is the best.



How many pillowcases are needed
at National Children's Hospital
for the Christmastime 2014
"Pillowcase Project?"

Hundreds.

So if you're a blogger, please spread the word that Kelley Highway is sponsoring "The Pillowcase Project" for sick kiddos ages 0 to 18 in Manila, the Philippines. I will most definitely be sharing photos of the patient-recipients and their new pillowcases at Christmastime 2014.

If you're on Facebook (I am not), kindly share this post.

And if you're on Twitter (I am not), please tweet it.

From the bottom of my heart, I thank you in advance for helping me honor my wonderful mother-in-law in this heartfelt way.

She... works willingly
with her hands...

S h e   e x t e n d s   h e r   h a n d
t o   t h e   p o o r...

She... does not eat the bread of idleness.
Her children arise up,
and call her blessed...
Let her own works
praise her in the gates.
Proverbs 31:13, 20, 27, 28 and 31

ALL ABOARD! Contributor update:
Note: Following numerous hours attempting to make a Pillowcase Project button, fail.  *sigh*  However, you're welcome to add the one on my sidebar or any others to your own blog. If you could somehow link it to Kelley Highway's The Pillowcase Project, I'd be oh, sew grateful.~

December 2013
1.  My precious MIL
2.  Sherry at Creatology
3.  Carol at The Polka Dot Closest
4.  Laura at Decor to Adore
5.  Susan at My Place to Yours
6.  Annabel in South Australia at The Bluebirds are Nesting
7.  Lana at Miss Lana
8.  Frances at Notions from Nonny
9.  Dayle at A Collection of Days
10. Rhonda at Rhonda's Creative Life
11. Ilse Moore, a contributor to Rhonda Buss's Mary Bridge  Hospital pillowcase project.

January 2014
12. Christ Temple of Phoenix, Arizona
13. Janice at Curtains in My Tree

Joined in February
14. Ellette Day

Joined in March
15. Amber at She Wears Red Boots

Joined in April
16. Cennetta at The Mahogany Stylist
17. Dayle's mother, Mrs. Ruth Allen

Joined in June
18. Claudia and her church ladies in Twin Falls, Idaho

Joined in July {So far 47 pillowcases have been received. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!}
19. Connie at Crafty Home Cottage
20. Marlynne (pronounced Marilyn) of Marlynne Creates Daily's "Chat & Sew" group at Archie, Missouri's First Baptist Church

Joined in August
21. Emmanuelle in Bath, England
22. Patty at Elegant Cowgirl

Joined in September
23. Our Dana, the Firstborn
24. Our great-niece, Abrielle

I can, too.
Read more about it here.


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 


Pillowcase(s) due date: December 1 20, 2014

Mailed in a US Postal medium Flat Rate box:
$12.65
Cram as many pillowcases inside as you like!

Mailed by December 1,
your pillowcases should arrive on Guam
before December 20.

When you're ready to mail your pillowcase(s),
click here and send me an E-mail.
I'll reply with my mailing address.
(*hug*)



32 comments:

Createology said...

I have been meaning to make some pillowcases and this is the perfect reason to do so. I am in for 2014. I reviewed your previous post and your MIL is beautiful. Such a wonderful lady and family celebration. Pillowcase Project is a great way to honor her. Blessings...

Kelley said...

My second Pillowcase Project contributor. {My MIL was the first!} Thank you so much! I can't wait to see your adorable pillowcases!

Happy highways,
Kelley~

The Polka Dot Closet said...

I'm on board! After the holidays I will put a post up, what a great idea. I know you will jog our minds. You have a button, we can put that up on our blogs.......Great Idea mother in law, this is tailor made for bloggers!!!

Thanks Kelly!
Carol

Kelley said...

Hi, Carol. I cannot thank you enough for your help with this. I'm so excited!

And you said I have a button. Um... I really don't. Yet. I'll go learn how to make myself one RIGHT NOW!

Happy highways,
Kelley~

Susan Nowell @ My Place to Yours said...

Count me in! I'll write a post in January. BTW, we have some much-loved Curious George huggables in our family, too. :-)

Kelley said...

Aww, thanks Susan. And aren't our Curious Georges just the greatest?

Happy highways,
Kelley~

P.S. I'm attempting to make a button for the Pillowcase Project now... Key word, attempting. *wink*

Annabel Smith said...

Hi Kelley, Thank you for your comment and note on my blog! I have just used my blog facebook page to feature your project and I would most certainly love to join you. As you know already my blog is http://thebluebirdsarenesting.blogspot.com.au Im not sure if you also have a facebook page? I will feature your project also on the blog over the next couple of days and link to the other lovely blogs participating as well. Thank you so much for inviting me. I am a very new blogger so I would be thrilled if all of us participating link to each other somehow, this would be great for me. I love to sew and have quite a bit of material to use for this! With thanks, Annabel.

Kelley said...

Greetings to you, Annabel! Thank you for dropping in, and for joining us on The Pillowcase Project. Thank you for Fb this, and no, I'm no longer on Facebook. Happy to know The Bluebirds Are Nesting featured this 2014 project. Most of the other bloggers are featuring it after the dust settles from the holy+days.

For a "very new blogger," you're doing a fabulous job. I will have to read your posts with an Australian accent. Do South Australians have a distinct South Australian accent?!

Sew glad you love to sew and sow and so! Welcome aboard!

Happy highways,
Kelley~

Annabel Smith said...

Thanks Kelley. No South Australians I dont think have a different accent although people from other states might not agree! I think in the new year (as now is so busy pre Christmas) I will round up quite a few pillowcase makers. It's a great project! Thank you!

Kelley said...

Thank YOU, Annabel!

Happy highways,
Kelley~

Lana said...

I'm in! Blog post of my own coming sometime after finals (or maybe before -- charity work is a valid reason not to study right???? Or not...) I'll spread the word on FB, Twitter and Instagram (where this a huge crafty community). Love!!

Kelley said...

Thank you, Lana! I forgot about Instagram. Of course, I'm not there either. HA! Thank you for your help!

Happy highways!

Frances Kendrick said...

I would love to be a part of this!!! With the holidays, please don't let us forget!!! :-)

Kelley said...

Welcome aboard, Frances! I won't let anyone forget. Thank you for joining us.

Happy weekend,
Kelley~

Dayle Allen Shockley @ A Collection of Days said...

Count me in, girlfriend.

Kelley said...

Welcome to the number! Appreciate your help.

*hugs*
Kelley~

Anonymous said...

I will contribute to your pillowcase project. I made up a bunch of them for Rhonda and I really enjoyed it. So, please, count me in
Ilse Moore

Kelley said...

Welcome aboard, Ilse! It's great to have you. I'm truly blessed to have your support for The Pillowcase Project!

A very Happy New Year to you. Follow here at Kelley Highway for Pillowcase Project Updates. Thanks!

Happy highways,
Kelley~

Pam @Threading My Way said...

What a wonderful thing to do, Kelley!!! Here in Australia, I sew for an organisation called Pillowcases for Oncology Kids. The pillowcases are sent to hospitals throughout Australia.

Kelley said...

How wonderful, Pam! Sure love for you to join us. Annabel from South Australia has. I have to read both of your blogs with as much of an Australian accent as I can do.

I appreciate you stopping by,
Kelley ~

Pam @Threading My Way said...

Featured on my blog today...

Kelley said...

Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Pam!

Happy highways,
Kelley~

Curtains in My Tree said...

I would like to make a pillow case for some child also.
That Curious George pillowcases so cute. I can be looking for material now
Janice

Kelley said...

Wonderful, Janice. It's our pleasure to welcome you aboard!

I'm replying via iPhone, but once I have time to access my laptop, I am glad to add you to the list of Contributors!

Thank you and happy highways,
Kelley~

Cennetta said...

Hi Kelley,
I think it is a great idea for you to continue this effort. I will participate and let you know when my pillowcases are ready to ship to you.
Thanks,
Cennetta

Kelley said...

Cennetta,

Oh, how wonderful to welcome you aboard The Pillowcase Project! I appreciate your efforts from the bottom of my heart.

Hugs and happy highways,
Kelley~

Dayle Allen Shockley @ A Collection of Days said...

Put my mom down for a pillowcase, at least one. (Ruth Allen)

Kelley said...

Will do, Dayle! And thanks so much!

Hugs and happy highways,
Kelley~

Connie said...

Hi Kelley, I am so happy to meet you and would love to be part of your project. We are in the process of moving and getting settled into our new place, but I'll have time for sewing pretty soon. I heard about you on Carol's blog, The Polka Dot Closet. I think that this is a wonderful idea. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of it. I have bookmarked this page, so will be emailing you when I get my pillowcases made.
Stay happy and keep smiling.
Connie :)

Kelley said...

What a delight to welcome you aboard, Connie, dear! We sure appreciate your help!

Hugs and happy week,
Kelley~

Marlynne said...

Our "Chat & Sew" group at The First Baptist Church of Archie, Missouri is having a make pillowcase session tomorrow to send to your cause Wish us well! Marlynne Snare

Kelley said...

ACKKKK! Marlynne!!!! You gals have made my day! Oh! I'd LOVE to have photos of your "Chat & Sew!" If you like, have someone e-mail some to me at mrskjdibble@juno.com!

WELCOME ABOARD the Pillowcase Project! :-)))))

Hugs and happy chatting and sewing for this wonderful cause,
Kelley~